Helping Parents Protect Their Rights and Their Children’s Interests
Child custody and visitation determinations are crucial legal matters with major consequences for children and their parents. These determinations often need to be made in the context of divorce, separation, paternity, modification, and parent and child relocation cases.
At the law firm of Lvovich & Szucsko, P.C., our San Francisco child custody attorneys help parents protect their parental rights and their children’s best interests. We are experienced at assisting clients in all types of cases in which custody and visitation issues arise.
Understanding How the California Courts Approach Custody and Visitation
In California, child custody issues can be resolved through negotiations between parents, court-ordered mediation or litigation. If a custody case goes to trial, the judge will make a decision based on the best interest of the child, considering factors such as the following:
- The health, safety and welfare of the child
- Either parent’s history of spousal and/or child abuse
- The nature and amount of contact with both parents
- Habitual or continued use of drugs or alcohol
- The history of conflict between the parents
- The risk that either parent will abduct the child
- The stability of the environment in each household
- The quality of each parent’s companionship and ability to love
- Each parent’s physical and mental condition
- The expressed preference of a child of sufficient age and capacity
- The importance of keeping siblings together
- Any other factors the court finds relevant
The courts are expressly forbidden from considering certain discriminatory factors — including the sex, race, religious beliefs, social beliefs, sexual orientation, sexual behavior and wealth of each parent — when making child custody and visitation determinations in contested cases.
The bottom line in custody and visitation matters is that when a judge needs to step in and make a decision, both parents are likely to be disappointed. Our attorneys work closely with clients to achieve positive outcomes through negotiations and mediation whenever possible.
San Francisco and San Mateo Visitation Attorneys · 415-392-2560
If you need help resolving any type of custody and visitation issue in California, our experienced child custody lawyers will carefully guide you through the legal process. To schedule an initial consultation, please contact us at 415-392-2560 or by e-mail.