ROBERT J. RATHMELL is a Senior Associate at Lvovich & Szucsko, P.C in the family law practice. He holds a Juris Doctor degree from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco. Robert has practiced family law since 2009 representing diverse Bay Area clients in family law litigation and trials, domestic violence prevention, dissolution of marriage and domestic partnership, child custody and visitation, domestic and international child relocation cases, parentage, spousal support and child support, and property-related matters.
Robert gives back to the community by serving new attorneys as a mentor, volunteer service to the courts, and pro bono representations through the Justice and Diversity Center of the Bar Association of San Francisco and the Sargent Shriver Child Custody Project. The Justice and Diversity Center of the Bar Association of San Francisco has named Robert an Outstanding Volunteer for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Robert also serves the courts as a settlement attorney in family law matters in San Francisco and San Mateo Counties.
Robert has researched wide-ranging issues in state and local government, an interest fostered by his work with David Jung and the Center for State and Local Government Law at UC Hastings. In December 2009 he and co-author Stephanie Bornstein completed a nation-wide survey of local government laws prohibiting workplace discrimination on the basis of familial responsibilities. The report, published by the Center for WorkLife Law, has been frequently cited by labor unions, legislators, and law firms.
Before his career as an attorney, Robert worked as a music educator in community music school, college and university positions. His composition, Poem and Reflections for guitar solo, won first prize in the 1994 Guitar Foundation of America International Set Piece Composition Competition and is published by Mel Bay Editiones Classicae. He and his wife, Susan, are members of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, an open and affirming congregation in San Francisco. Robert has served the St. Mark’s community as a Lector, a member of Church Council, and a member of the St. Mark’s Endowment Fund Committee. For everyday enjoyment, Robert and Susan find time for a good walk with their Norwegian Elkhound Freya in their favorite city.
- State Bar of California
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- San Mateo County Bar Association
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law
J.D. May 2008
- University of Minnesota,
Ph.D. Composition, 1998
- San Francisco Conservatory of Music
M.M. Piano, 1991
- Arizona State University
B.M. Piano, magna cum laude, 1988
- Senior Associate in Family Law, Lvovich & Szucsko, P.C. (2018 – present)
- Managing Partner, Rathmell Saunders, LLP (2013-18)
- Solo Practitioner (2009-13), Family Law
- Attorney for SFUSD in Public Employment (2009-11)
- Fellow at Center for State and Local Government Law and Center for Work-Life Law at UC Hastings (2009)
- Clerk at Public Agency Law Firms (2007-09)
- Investigative Intern at US EEOC, San Francisco (2006)
- Music Educator (1991-2005)
- Presenter “Marital Reimbursement Claims,” BASF (2018)
- Outstanding Volunteer 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, Justice and Diversity Center
- Co-Author of “Caregivers as a Protected Class,” Center for WorkLife Law (2009)
- Volunteer Status Conference Attorney, San Mateo County
- Recipient of the Witkin Award for Academic Excellence (2007)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts